Sunday, May 25, 2014

Whoo whoooo!

Day two! And another post to delight you.

OK, thought my Mom would get a kick out of that little rhyme! Hi Mom! My goal today is to introduce you to these cute great horned owlets, just out of the nest, and tell the tale of how I got the shot.


Great horned owls are found everywhere, females typically larger then males. Often perched high in quiet, secluded habitat taking up residence in trees that include deciduous, coniferous and mixed forests. They prefer areas of open habitats, where they hunt, and woods, where they tend to roost and nest.

I found these owlets on the grassland located in the South Platte River basin on the Colorado Eastern Plains. It was at the end of a three day workshop on the Pawnee National Grasslands and only the hardy participants were left. We photographed this pair in the golden light of the evening and came away with some super shots then headed back to our vehicles to call it a day.

Just before packing up the gear, I turned to the owlets to say thank you for the opportunity (as I often do to my subjects) and OMG! This is what presented itself. With a quick exposure adjustment and a few frames later I knew I had something special. Hope you agree! I call this image appropriately "Owlets" and it has been a favorite of viewers and clients alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment